Thursday, April 22, 2010

The Middle

Well, after having a really good, hard look at the new knotwork, I am in agreement with Laura that it needs to come down a bit, so I am going to have a bash at putting it just above the dragon and getting rid of the circle idea. I think if I can fatten up some of the knotwork just above the dragon's head, it will give some visual weight to the area and will let me tie the knot in a bit more smoothly.

With the knotwork moved, there seems to be a 'tapering' feeling to the flow of the overall design, so I have widened the top area with the eagle a bit more and am tying the knotwork through. My hope is that we can surround the frame with the eagle and the knotwork and give things more of a three dimensional feel. It will make for some nasty carving problems, but should look pretty smart if we can pull it off!




After looking at this newest outline for a while, I am feeling that it is a bit stubby and too short at the top.



















I have opted to paste a couple of photocopies together to see if lengthening the top section helps things at all. Although it feels a bit empty and airy through the top section now, I think that the overall form of the design is very close to right now and that Laura will be able to fill in this area with some of her lovely vine or floral ideas.
In the meantime, a quick reminder that you can win the finished spoon simply by donating to the Left Coast Eisteddfod. Every dollar you donate equals a chance at winning, so more dollars equals more chances!! Please consider supporting this worthwhile event and helping to further Welsh cultural events in North America!
Dave











Bookmark and Share

1 comment:

  1. Dave, it's good to see you working on another lovespoon. I've been to Laura's site and really like her work as well. I think you make a wonderful team.

    This blog is exactly the sort of thing that has been missing in the literature of lovespoon art: the process of design as well as the carving. Design has always been given short shrift in the literature. Your book was the first that I found that gave students of the form a clue about design rather than being a compendium of designs to copy. In my opinion this blog (and the one before) ought to, at the very least, be published as a series of articles.

    As for nasty carving problems, I know precisely whereof you speak. I have been struggling lately with designs too complicated for the wood (and my poor skills) and wood too hard for my aging hands. I gave up trying to work mesquite years ago because it is harder than a spurned woman's heart (I even wrote a blog post about how it got that way). Then I foolishly bought a bit of spalted maple. I used a simpler design, but the wood has been kicking my you-know-what. You may remember that I use hand tools exclusively. It is almost done. The wood is beautiful, but I think this may well be my last effort in maple. It's so difficult to work that I find myself finding excuses not to finish it. But I will finish it. I've got too much work in it not to.

    In any case, it's good to see you online again. And Laura, it's good to meet you.

    I've made the first of my donations to the Eisteddfod. I missed out on winning last year's spoon, but maybe this will be my year.

    Bob Tinsley

    ReplyDelete